Table of Contents
- Ancient References to the Field that Connects all Things
- Ancient Source Texts and References
- Modern References to the Field that Connects All Things
- Science of Mind/Body Connection
- Discoveries of Evolution / Human Evolution
- Tipping Points of Civilization
- Archaeological References
- Consciousness and Science
- Climate Change
- Social Change
Ancient References to the Field that Connects all Things
- The ancient Hsin Hsin Ming (Verses on the Faith Mind) is attributed to Chien Chih Sengstan, third Zen patriarch, in the fifth century. This particular quote is from the English translation by Robert B. Clarke and illustrated by Gyoskusei Jikihara, Hsin-Hsin Ming: Seng-Ts’an Third Zen Patriarch (Buffalo, NY: White Pine Press, 2001).
- The Jewel Net of Indra (University Park, PA: Pennsylvania State Univ. Press, 1977): p. 2.
Ancient Source Texts and References
- Michael Wise, Martin Abegg, Jr., and Edward Cook, The Dead Sea Scrolls: A New Translation (San Francisco, CA: Harper SanFrancisco, 1996): p. 365.
- The Rig Veda as cited in “Hinduism: On the Metaphysics and Philosophy of Hinduism Beliefs and Hindu Gods: All Is One (Brahman).” Website: www.spaceandmotion.com/Philosophy-Hinduism-Hindu.htm.
- “The Gospel of Thomas,” translated and introduced by members of the Coptic Gnostic Library Project of the Institute for Antiquity and Christianity (Claremont, CA.). From The Nag Hammadi Library, James M. Robinson, ed. (San Francisco, CA: HarperSanFrancisco, 1990): p. 137
- “John 16:23-24,” from Holy Bible: Authorized King James Version (Grand Rapids, MI: World Publishing, 1989): p. 80.
- The Other Bible: Gnostic Gospels, Dead Sea Scrolls, Visionary Wisdom Texts, Christian Apocrypha, Jewish Pseudepigrapha, Kabbala, edited by Willis Barnstone, HarperSanFrancisco, 1984, ISBN: 0-06-250030-9
- Prayers of the Cosmos: Meditations on the Aramaic Words of Jesus, Neil Douglas-Klotz, trans. (San Francisco, CA: HarperSanFrancisco, 1994): pp. 86-87.
- There is a general belief that the Old Testament of the Peshitta was translated into Syriac from the Hebrew version in approximately the 2nd century AD. The New Testament of the Peshitta was translated from the Greek. I recommend the work of George Lamasa for the physical version of the Peshitta, (1933). The Holy Bible from Ancient Eastern Manuscripts. ISBN 0-06-064923-2. A number of additional versions may be found on line including an on line version at http://www.peshitta.org/
Modern References to the Field that Connects All Things
- Website: www.spaceandmotion.com/Physics-Space-Aether-Ether.htm.
- A. A. Michelson, “The Relative Motion of the Earth and the Luminiferous Ether,” American Journal of Science, vol. 22, (1881): p. 120-129.
- A. A. Michelson and Edward W. Morley “On The Relative Motion of the Earth and the Luminiferous Ether,” American Journal of Science, vol. 34, (1887): p. 333-345.
- E. W. Silvertooth, “Special Relativity.” Nature, vol. 322 (August 1986): p. 590.
- Konrad Finagle, What’s the Void? (Barney Noble, 1898) [Excerpts reprinted in D.E. Simanek and J. C. Holden, Science Askew (Boca Raton, FL: Institute of Physics Publishing, 2002)]. Website: www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/cutting/grav.htm.
- Max Planck, from a speech that he gave in Florence, Italy in 1944, entitled “Das Wesen der Materie” (The Essence/Nature/Character of Matter) Quelle: Archiv zur Geschichte der Max-Planck-Gesellschaft, Abt. Va, Rep. 11 Planck, Nr. 1797.Below I have included a portion of that speech in the original German, with the English translation following.
- Original German: “Als Physiker, der sein ganzes Leben der nüchternen Wissenschaft, der Erforschung der Materie widmete, bin ich sicher von dem Verdacht frei, für einen Schwarmgeist gehalten zu werden. Und so sage ich nach meinen Erforschungen des Atoms dieses: Es gibt keine Materie an sich. Alle Materie entsteht und besteht nur durch eine Kraft, welche die Atomteilchen in Schwingung bringt und sie zum winzigsten Sonnensystem des Alls zusammenhält. Da es im ganzen Weltall aber weder eine intelligente Kraft noch eine ewige Kraft gibt – es ist der Menschheit nicht gelungen, das heißersehnte Perpetuum mobile zu erfinden – so müssen wir hinter dieser Kraft einen bewußten intelligenten Geist annehmen. Dieser Geist ist der Urgrund aller Materie.
- English Translation: “As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear-headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about the atoms this much: There is no matter as such! All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particles of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together . . . We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter.”
- Zhi Zhao, Yu-Ao Chen, An-Ning Zhang, Tao Yang, Hans J. Briegel, and Jian-Wei Pan, “Experimental Demonstration of Five-photon entanglement and Open-destination Teleportation,” Nature, vol. 430 (2004): p. 54.
- Eric Smalley, “Five Photons Linked,” Technology Research News (August/September 2004). Website: www.trnmag.com/Stories/2004/082504/Five_photons_linked_082504.html.
- Malcolm W. Browne, “Signal Travels Farther and Faster Than Light,” Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (Newport News, VA.) online newsletter (July 22, 1997). Website: www.jlab.org
- Joel R. Primack, a cosmologist at the University of Santa Cruz, from the “Ask the Experts” section of Scientific American online, “If Space Is Expanding, into What Is it Expanding?” ScientificAmerican.com Posted on October 21,1999. “According to modern cosmological theory, based on Einstein’s General Relativity (our modern theory of gravity), the big bang did not occur somewhere in space; it occupied the whole of space. Indeed, it created space.” www.sciam.com
- P.P.Gariaev, K.V. Grigor’ev, A.A. Vasil’ev, V.P. Poponin, and V.A. Shcheglov, “Investigation of the Fluctuation Dynamics of DNA Solutions by Laser Correlation Spectroscopy,” Bulletin of the Lebedev Physics Institute (1992), no. 11-12, p. 23-30, as cited by Vladimir Poponin in an online article “The DNA Phantom Effect: Direct Measurement of a New Field in the Vacuum Substructure” (Update on DNA Phantom Effect: March 19, 2002). The Weather Master website. www.twm.co.nz/DNAPhantom.htm
- 10. Vladimir Poponin, “The DNA Phantom Effect: Direct Measurement of a New Field in the Vacuum Substructure,” performed the Russian study again in 1995 under the auspices of the Institute of HeartMath, Research Division, Boulder Creek, CA.
Science of Mind/Body Connection
- Glen Rein, Ph.D., Mike Atkinson, Rollin McCraty, M.A., “The Physiological and Psychological Effects of Compassion and Anger,” Journal of Advancement in Medicine, vol. 8, no. 2 (1995): p. 87-103.
- Julie Motz, “Everyone an Energy Healer: The Treat V Conference” Santa Fe, N.M., Advances: The Journal of Mind-Body Health, vol. 9 (1993).
- Glen Rein. Ph.D., “Effect of Conscious Intention on Human DNA,” Proceeds of the International Forum on New Science (Denver, CO: 1986).
- Glen Rein, Ph.D., and Rollin McCraty, Ph.D., “Structural Changes in Water and DNA Associated with New Physiologically Measurable States,” Journal of Scientific Exploration vol. 8, no. 3 (1994): 19. One of the clearest sources for the mind-body connection was documented in a landmark study by James Blumenthal at Duke University. “Chill Out: It Does the Heart Good,” Duke University news release citing the technical study of the relationship between emotional response and heart health, originally published in the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. http://Dukemednews.org/news/article.php?id-353.
- A beautiful example of applying what we know about inner peace to a wartime situation is found in the pioneering study done by David W. Orme-Johnson, Charles N. Alexander, John L. Davies, Howard M. Chandler, and Wallace E. Larimore, “International Peace Project in the Middle East,” The Journal of Conflict Resolution, vol. 32, no. 4, (December 1988): p. 778.
- Spoken by James A. Blumenthal, a professor of medical psychology at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, NC, in an article by Rebecca Clay, “Research to the Heart of the Matter: Psychologists are producing clear evidence that psychosocial factors contribute to cardiovascular disease and are coming up with interventions that may help patients live healthier lives,” American Psychological Association, vol. 32, no. 1 (January 2001). Website: http://www.apa.org/monitor/jan01/coverheart.aspx.
Discoveries of Evolution / Human Evolution
- University of Glasgow, “Rare Tests on Neanderthal Infant Sheds Light on Early Human Development,” ScienceDaily (April 4, 2000). Website: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/03/000331091126.htm.
- Hillary Mayell, “Neandertals Not Our Ancestors, DNA Study Suggests,” National Geographic News (May 14, 2003). Website: http://news.nationalgeographic.com.
- Yuxin Fan, Tera Newman, Elena Linardopoulou, and Barbara J. Trask, “Gene Content and Function of the Ancestral Chromosome Fusion Site in Human Chromosome 2q13-2q14.1 and Paralogous Regions,” Genome Research, vol. 12 (Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, 2002): pp. 1663–72. Website: http://genome.cshlp.org/content/12/11/1663.full.
- J. W. IJdo, A. Baldini, D.C. Ward, S.T. Reeders, and R.A. Wells, “Origin of Human Chromosome 2: An Ancestral Telomere-telomere Fusion,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 88, no. 20 (October 15, 1991): pp. 9051–5.
- Richard Dawkins, The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence Reveals a Universe Without Design (New York: W. W. Norton & Company, 1986): p. 5. Website: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/nave-html/faithpathh/dawkins.html.
- Compilation of hominid characteristics, including cranial capacity. Website: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Homo.
- Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History (New York: W. W. Norton, 1989): p. 24.
- Steven M. Stanley, Macroevolution: Pattern and Process (San Francisco, California: W.M. Freeman and Co., 1979): p. 39.
- Complete works of Darwin online: http://darwin-online.org.uk/contents.html.
- Francis Crick, Life Itself: Its Origin and Nature (New York: Simon & Schuster, 1981).
Tipping Points of Civilization
- Emma Woollacott, “Loss of Biodiversity Could Damage World Economy, Says UN,” TG Daily (May 11, 2010): Website: http://www.tgdaily.com/sustainability-features/49704-loss-of-biodiversity-could-damage-world-economy-says-un.
- Niles Eldredge, “The Sixth Extinction,” Actionbioscience.Org, American Institute of Biological Sciences (June 2001): Website: http://www.actionbioscience.org/newfrontiers/eldredge2.html.
- Richard C. Cook, “It’s Official: The Crash of the U.S. Economy Has Begun,” Center for Research on Globalization (June 14, 2007). Website: http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=5964.
- Lester R. Brown, “Is Our Civilization at a Tipping Point?” Hunger Notes, World Hunger Education Service. Website: http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/09/editorials/brown_tipping.htm.
- George Musser, “The Climax of Humanity,” Scientific American, special edition “Crossroads for Planet Earth” (September 2005): pp. 44–47.
- Abstract and link to full report by World Economic Forum, Global Risks 2013, Lee Howell, editor in chief. Website: http://www.weforum.org/reports/global-risks-2013-eighth-edition.
- A description of the excavation with images of the site and an interview with lead archaeologist Klaus Schmidt. Sean Thomas, “Gobekli Tepe: Paradise Regained?” Fortean Times UK. Website: http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/449/gobekli_tepe_paradise_regained.html
- K. Pustovoytov, K. Schmidt, and H. Parzinger, “Radiocarbon Dating of Thin Pedogenic Carbonate Laminae from Holocene Archaeological Sites,” Holocene, vol. 19 (December 1, 2009): pp. 1153–1160.
- Michael D. Coe, Breaking the Maya Code (New York: Thames & Hudson, 1999): p. 61.
- Richard L. Thompson, Mysteries of the Sacred Universe: The Cosmology of the Bhāgavata Purāna (Alachua, FL: Govardhan Hill Publishing, 2000): p. 225.
Consciousness and Science
- Bruce Lipton, The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter, & Miracles (Santa Rose, CA: Mountain of Love/Elite Books, 2005): pp. 67–9.
- Nadine L. Vastenhouw, Yong Zhang, Ian G. Woods, Farhad Imam, Aviv Regev, X. Shirley Liu, John Rinn, and Alexander F. Schier, “Chromatin Signature of Embryonic Pluripotency Is Established During Genome Activation,” Nature, vol. 464 (April 8, 2010): pp. 922–6.
- Elise Kleeman, “When Does a Fetus Feel Pain?” Discover (December 2005): Website: http://discovermagazine.com/2005/dec/fetus-feel-pain.
- Christof Koch, “When Does Consciousness Arise in Human Babies?” Scientific American (September 2, 2009). Website: http://scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=when-does-consciousness-arise.
- Johan Rockström, Will Steffen, and Kevin Noone, et al., “A Safe Operating Space for Humanity,” Nature, vol. 461 (September 24, 2009): pp. 472–475. Website: www.nature.com/nature/journal/v461/n7263/full/461472a.html
- Omar Baddour, as quoted in an article by Sarah Lyall, “Heat, Flood or Icy Cold, Extreme Weather Rages Worldwide,” The New York Times (January 10, 2013): p. A4. Website: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/11/science/earth/extreme-weather-grows-in-frequency-and-intensity-around-world.html
- Dim Coumou, as quoted in an article, “Global Warming Has Increased Monthly Heat Records Worldwide by a Factor of Five, Study Finds,” Science Daily (January 14, 2013). Website: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130114101732.htm
- Craig Loehle and J. Huston McCulloch, “Correction to: A 2000-Year Global Temperature Reconstruction Based on Non-Tree Ring Proxies,” Energy & Environment, vol. 19, no. 1 (2008): pp. 93–100. Retrieved from: http://www.econ.ohio-state.edu/jhm/AGW/Loehle/Loehle_McC_E&E_2008.pdf
- Alfred J. Cavallo, “Hubbert’s Petroleum Production Model: An Evaluation and Implications for World Oil Production Forecasts,” Natural Resources Research, vol. 13, no. 4 (December 2004): pp. 211–221.
- Lonnie Thompson, as quoted in an article by Earle Holland, “Major Climate Change Occurred 5,200 Years Ago: Evidence Suggests That History Could Repeat Itself,” Ohio State University Research News (December 15, 2004). Website: http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/5200event.htm
- “2013 World Hunger and Poverty Facts and Statistics,” Hunger Notes. World Hunger Education Service Website: http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/Learn/world%20hunger%20facts%202002.htm.
- Advances in renewable energy sources will make them more viable as local alternatives that supplement regional energy systems. Green Progress, “Alternative Energy.” Website: http://www.greenprogress.com/alternative_energy.php.
- The UN Millennium Development Goals 2015 goal for poverty reduction was achieved ahead of schedule. United Nations Website: http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals///poverty.shtml.
- Lester R. Brown, “Is Our Civilization at a Tipping Point?” Hunger Notes. World Hunger Education Service Website: http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/09/editorials/brown_tipping.htm
- David Gershon, “Social Change 2.0: A Blueprint for Reinventing Our World,” Sustainable City Network (November 12, 2010). Website: http://www.sustainablecitynetwork.com/blogs/david_gershon/article_5b8f63d2-eea0-11df-8077-0017a4a78c22.html
- The Paolo Soleri community of Arcosanti Website: http://www.arcosanti.org.
- Edmund J. Bourne, Global Shift: How a New Worldview Is Transforming Humanity (Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications, 2008): p. 322.
- Lawrence H. Keeley, as quoted by R. Brian Ferguson in “The Birth of War,” Natural History, vol. 112, no. 6 (July/August 2003) Website: http://iweb.tntech.edu/kosburn/history-444/birth_of_war.htm.
- A definition of resilience from the American Psychological Association. Website: http://psychcentral.com/lib/2007/what-is-resilience.
- An expanded definition of resilience that may be applied to nature as well as society, from the Stockholm Resilience Centre Website: http://www.stockholmresilience.org/21/research/what-is-resilience.html.
- Janice Harris Lord and Kevin O’Brien, “Core Elements and Strategies for Victim Service Providers to Develop Resilience,” an excerpt from “Chapter 10: Developing Resilience,” in National Victim Assistance Academy Track 1: Foundation-Level Training (March 2011): pp. 9–18. Website: https://www.ovcttac.gov/downloads/views/TrainingMaterials/NVAA/Documents_NVAA2011/ParticipantText/10_NVAA_MAR_2011_Developing_Resilience_PText_final.doc.
- Scott Barry Kaufman, “The Will and Ways of Hope,” Psychology Today (December 26, 2011). Website: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/beautiful-minds/201112/the-will-and-ways-hope.
- Rollin McCraty, Bob Barrios-Choplin, Deborah Rozman, Mike Atkinson, and Alan D. Watkins, “The Impact of a New Emotional Self-Management Program on Stress, Emotions, Heart Rate Variability, DHEA and Cortisol,” Integrative Physiological and Behavioral Science, vol. 33, no. 2 (1998): pp.151–170. Website: http://www.heartmath.org/research/research-publications/impact-of-a-new-emotional-self-management-program-on-stress-emotions-heart-rate-variability.html.
- Margaret J. Wheatley describes the scope of her work at the Berkana Institute. Website: http://www.berkana.org/about.
- A series of conferences designed to create greater resilience for the city of Philadelphia. Website: http://www.phil.frb.org/community-development/events/2012/reinventing-older-communities.
- A description of San Francisco’s efforts to “retrofit the buildings and infrastructure that sustain city life. Our goal is to ensure San Francisco’s resiliency and our capacity to not only survive but thrive when a disaster strikes.” Website: http://www.spur.org/initiative/resilient-city.
- An innovative initiative in New York that emphasizes the need for a holistic resilience agenda and answers the question: “How resilient is New York City? Can we absorb sudden shocks to our economy, to our natural environment, to our way of life?” Websites: http://mas.org/mass-resilience-agenda and http://mas.org/video/building-resilient-cities-future-model-sustainability-community.
- My World: The United Nations Global Survey for a Better World. Website: http://www.myworld2015.org/index.html.
- Megan Quinn, “The Power of Community: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil,” Energy Bulletin (February 25, 2006). Website: http://www2.energybulletin.net/node/13171